Nurse Extern II - BJCSP
Company: Encompass Health
Location: Saint Peters
Posted on: June 30, 2019
To provide a transitional role for nursing students in good
standing with an accredited nursing program. The Nurse Extern II
function is to assist with and provide quality nursing care. This
includes patient care, reporting patient attitudes, conditions or
unusual circumstances to the nurse in charge, maintaining equipment
and unit cleanliness. The Nurse Extern II is responsible for:
- Providing direct patient care activities appropriate to training
and competency for assigned patients with direct supervision of
- To strengthen self confidence.
- To learn to operate various medical devices.
- To learn various disease processes.
- To interact with physicians and other healthcare providers.
- To expand clinical knowledge and skills.
- To familiarize themselves to the hospital environment.
- To gain more clinical experience and learn more nursing
- Assisting RN/LVN in completing tasks that support patient care
- Completes patient care activities as assigned while promoting
excellent patient satisfaction and outcomes.
- Establish criteria for employment of nursing students.
- Works under the guidelines of RN with assigned patients in
accordance with hospital guidelines.
- Define the role of Nurse Externs.Job Code: 100657License or
- CPR certification required
Education, Training, Requirements and Years of Experience:
- Part-time or full-time active student status.
- Successful completion of the third term of nursing courses of a
professional Registered Nurse nursing program.
- Must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing in a
professional Registered Nurse nursing program.
- Must provide evidence of completion of didactic/skills lab to
include fundamentals if not currently a Nurse Extern I.
- Return of one or two (if available) instructor evaluations
indicating satisfactory performance of fundamental nursing
- Successful completion of preceptor tool and core competency at 90
days and annually.
- Must present proof of continued enrollment and passing grade in
nursing classes each semester until graduation and is in good
- One year experience in inpatient general hospital setting
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax
machine, calculator, computer.
- Equipment as listed in the Competency check-off list.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30 pounds and ability push/pull a
minimum of 30 pounds, which includes the lifting, pushing and/or
pulling of medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and
repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested
when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds
these minimum requirements.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for
patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet
deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- May not under any circumstances perform any tasks/procedures that
have not been covered in this job description or that have not been
verified by competency checklists.
- May not administer medications by any route.
- May document in the medical record.
- May assist the nurse in collection of data and documentation of
data in the nurse's notes upon completion of competencies as deemed
by the CNO. The RN is accountable for making nursing judgments,
altering the plan of care, or intervention based on his/her
assessment of the patient status.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment.
Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Meets established attendance standards.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or
night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations,
i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster
situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by
- A one-year performance evaluation will be done annually. This is
required and will be part of your permanent record.
- Please notify the professional development coordinator if:
- You are no longer in nursing school due to any reason.
- You have a change of address or telephone number.
- You are unable to work due to school, personal commitments,
Address: 10 Hospital Dr, Saint Peters 63376
Keywords: Encompass Health, Saint Peters , Nurse Extern II - BJCSP, Healthcare , Saint Peters, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!